Sunday, February 12, 2012

Where is the love?

It’s the love month and it’s just timely to have this entry in my blog.  No, this is not about the romantic love that you might be expecting but this is about what I love doing – TRAVELLING! (need I say more?) and my continuous search for LOVE!


I saw it first in one of the photos of a friend when he was in New York.  Before I left for Singapore to meet my sister in year 2006 July, I researched on where can I find it in Singapore.  “Yey!”, my sister confirmed that it is in front of Plaza Singapura – this is my first photo with LOVE.


What is the story behind this LOVE? 
Although the word "love" contained much significance to 1960s culture, Robert Indiana attributes his connection with the word to an earlier, more personal source. Attending Christian Science church services as a child in Indianapolis, he was impressed by a small plaque over the reader's platform bearing the inscription "God Is Love." Indiana is no longer a practicing member of the church, but he insists that the message of LOVE be taken as a spiritual one.


The sculpture is based on the artist's original 1965 Christmas card design for MoMA, in which the majuscule letters of the word “love” are arranged in a 2×2 square, LO atop VE, and the O tilted to align with the diagonal of the square. MoMA's commission for the card came one year after Indiana had designed similar Christmas cards for close friends.

It 1970 as the first sculptural form of Robert Indiana's famous LOVE painting was located at the Indianapolis Museum of Art (IMA), which is near downtown Indianapolis, Indiana.   [Reference :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOVE_(Indianapolis)]

This famous sculpture has been an inspiration to many and has been reproduced in some parts of US, Asia and now in the Philippines.

After 3 years (October 2009), I thought of having a photo of it in red. Of course, that is not the only reason I went to Taiwan.  This is my second version of LOVE, taken at the grounds of Taipei 101.


The following year (June 2010), my sister and I attended the World Expo at Shanghai, China.  I definitely added it in our itinerary, and even if I’m with high fever during that time, I pushed myself to reach where it was located, Shanghai Zendai Museum of Modern Art – this is my third photo of LOVE.


Last year I learned that there is a new version located in Eastwood, Libis, Quezon City, Philippines - since I’m working in Ortigas, it would be easier for me to have a photo of it, but time doesn’t permit.  It was on April 2011, we decided to go on Visita Iglesia (Spanish: Church visits) in Our Lady of Peace and Voyage Church, Antipolo.  We drop by the place and finally, I was able to take a photo of my fourth LOVE in green.




Last Friday (February 2012), I was invited by my sister to visit her at McKinley Hill, Taguig for the reason that she saw her friends having a photo of it.  Finally, for the latest version and my fifth photo of LOVE at The Venice Piazza, Taguig City, Philippines.



I love travelling and love found me in my travels.  You may be in the journey of finding your one true love and keep asking on why it is taking so long.  Keep in mind that there many forms of love, spread it to your family, friends, to those who you do not personally know and to those who you will meet in the future. 


We might be looking for love in the wrong place, for the wrong reasons, or in an imaginary person – but one thing is for sure, you can find love deep within your heart.  Not to forget, that we also need to continue keeping something within us, loving oneself is important for us to keep living in our own journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment