Saturday, May 4, 2024

Shikoku, Japan: The Kochi Prefectural Makino Botanical Garden


I have several parks on my list but most are still without blooming flowers.  Gladly included Kochi Prefectural Makino Botanical Garden the day before going to Matsuyama.

I bought the My-Yu bus ticket from Kochi Prefecture Information Center Tosa Terrace day before my planned date.  I was able to get an additional discount by showing my passport.  


Just learned that you can also buy the ticket from the bus itself.  But not sure if there will discounts. 


Took the earliest scheduled My-Yu bus from Kochi Station at 8:00 am to Makino, arriving at 8:27 am. Means that I arrived almost 30 mins before gates open at 9:00 am. 


The Kochi Prefectural Makino Botanical Garden
高知県立牧野植物園
4200-6 Godaisan, Kochi, 781-8125, Japan

Being at the top of the mountain, the strong wind makes me feel freezing at the waiting area in the open parking lot. Also, given that I washed my hands in the restroom, that adds to the freezing.  Funny at first, but I'm already geared with gloves and still freezing.



Prunus Kanzakura Makino Praecox


Tosamizuki blooming in yellow. 


It's bit of walk until you reach the tickets for the garden, but surely that you'll be enjoying the scene with flowers blooming, ferns and leaves along the way. 


Be careful while walking on the stairs, focus on where you stepping while being amazed with all the flowers around. 



I went straight to Makino Museum of Plants & People Exhibition Hall.  This area showcases 'The Life of Tomitaro Makino' and Makino's collection.




Some of the life lessons I like during my visit. 






I also watched a short film in Exhibition Hall Theater.  Thankful that they have English subtitles. 



Yey, was able to catch sakura in full bloom!


White daffodils blooming.











Limestone path



Seems to be a type of magnolia. (Kindly comment if you know the names of the flowers on this post.)







Conservatory Entrance - showcases blooming plants, leaf art and introducing the charm of orchids. 



I used to take care air plants during lockdown period, I was able to bloom one but unable to keep them alive. 







I ended my stay by having lunch at CL Garden Cafe.  Try to be there earlier that the usual lunch time to avoid the queue. 


Travel Date: March 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment