Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Kochi, Japan: Yusuhara Town

 


Less visited by travellers, I first learned about Yusuhara town when it was tagged as having one of the most beautiful libraries in Japan.


However, when I pinned the place in maps, getting to Yusuhara Town will take much of an effort.  It took some time before I finally decided to take this adventure. 

While on Shikoku Island, from Kochi station I took the earliest 6:30 am local train to Susaki station.


After passing few stations, I was left alone at the train car until I reached Susaki.


Arriving at 8:05am, I still have time to grab a bite while waiting for the bus.

Download a translation app to guide you when you are reading the timetable at the bus stop.


If you still have time and it's too cold to wait at the bus station, you can go back to the train station and make sure to return to the bus station 3-5 minutes before it arrives. 


I was the only one who took the bus from Susaki.  We were cruising along Shinjo River, Kitagawa River and pass thru tunnels.  


Within the 1 hour and 18 minutes ride, there is only 1 other passenger with me along the way. 


Things to do in Yusuhara Town

Appreciate the flora

It a very quiet town and less people outside the streets.  It was raining heavily when I arrived the town, but the flowers were shining brightly under the rain. 


Even the manholes are designed with flowers. 



Also seen a weeping tree. 



Eat morning set breakfast at Coffee Flag 


Most of the restaurants open late after 10 am, and even the cafe at the library open later in the morning, thus I planned to have breakfast at this cafe. 


Thank you for preparing this yummy sandwich and I liked my salad as well.  


There a long list of  beans procured from various countries that are available in their menu.  

Coffee Flag
1155-6 Yusuhara, Takaoka District, Kochi 785-0610, Japan
Closed: Thursdays, Fridays



Read in Yusuhara Community Library 


Appreciate the great design and architecture from Kengo Kuma. 


I knew about the artist after watching few videos of his work.  Before visiting this library, I've already been to some of his works like Starbucks Coffee at Dazaifu Tenmangu Omotesando, Starbucks Reserve Roastery in Tokyo, Ace Hotel in Kyoto and KoĆ© Donuts along Shinkyogoku arcade in Kyoto. 


Upon arrival at the library, I browse three books about the artist. 


And looking forward to see more in the future. 




Per book below, "Wood is a material that connects humanity to the earth.  It also connects us to the sky - without it, we would not be able to withstand the strong light of the sun."



There are a lot of sitting areas in the library.  You can choose to sit on the floor, on the chairs with desks and on the couch. 


Here's a book about Picasso. 




A lot of books in Japanese and even picture books are available for English speakers. 






At the end of my stay, I used the blank postcards I made in Ino Paper Museum.  Pulled my pens and draw some spring designs that I sent back to my hometown.  


Also got some free postcards from the library counter. 



Buy some snacks, coffee and omiyage from the community store

Hotel on the clouds Town station Yusuhara
ć¾ć”ć®é§…「悆恙ćÆ悉」


Also designed by Kengo Kuma.  You'll notice the thick wall like the traditional thatched houses. 



I bought some snacks, doughnuts and coffee. 



True to its name "above the clouds", while waiting for the bus, clouds are already coming low.  While the bus is cruising back to the Susaki station, the mountains are already covered with clouds.


Here are some of the things I got from Yusuhara community. 




No comments:

Post a Comment