Tuesday, October 28, 2014

2014 August: Singapore: Philatelic Museum

Singapore Philatelic Museum
Address: 23-B Coleman Street, Singapore 179807
Website: https://www.spm.org.sg

What is Philately?
Philately is...  More than just Stamps!



Philately is the hobby of collecting 
and learning about postage stamps.
-Collins Cobuild Advance Learner's English Disctionary



Language of Philately







What is a stamp? 







As part of the seasonal display, there were stamp collection about Horses and Super Heroes (as Batman, Superman, etc.)




Let's move to the second floor exhibit...
















I'm not a stamp collector, the closest hobby I have is about postcards, which is an influence from my sister since she is part of www.postcrossing.com.  Right after I stepped in to the museum and spending half an hour just on the souvenir section, I must say I can stay there for hours and yes I did.  The experience is so overwhelming since I get most of my stamps from the personal postcards sent from my Asian trip and few coming from my sister and friends.  

The museum is good and successful in conveying the information of 4w1H (What, Where, When, Why, How) about Philately.  The first section is so interactive that will make visitors want to see more and continue to next room, until the last exhibit - leaving an awesome and touching experience to a traveler like me.

On this visit, I got interested in stamps, I bought 100 pcs from the souvenir shop, I sent few postcards and bought myself "R" seal/stamp with candle (which left like an emblem on letters).  

Sharing to you a Psalm that is posted in the museum wall:

PHILATELIST'S PSALM

Stamp collecting is my hobby, I shall not be bored.
It maketh me to do research on far places.
It causeth me to correspond with odd people.
It keepeth me alert.
It leadeth me into areas of understanding for curiosity's sake.
Yea, though I live through a Winter of inclement weather, I will fear no boredom, for my stamps are with me.
They provideth me a means of escaping from the tensions of my responsibilities.
They filleth my house with books.
My cash runneth lower.
Surely interest and knowledge shall follow me all the days of my life.
And I will be listed in the ranks of the Philatelists forever.
Anon.



Added content on: 12.27.2014
On my recent trip to Japan (12.02.2014), upon sending postcards at Koddenmacho Post Office, I did buy a spare stamp to be added in my Stamp Collection.   

No comments:

Post a Comment