Wednesday, May 23, 2018

South Korea: Jeollanam-do: Boseong: Beolgyo: Literature Museum

I never heard about this place, Beolgyo, not until I had a talked with my overnight dorm mate in Suncheon. She was reading the novel that was blocked by the government for a time.  She said it depicts about politics, leftists, those that are against the administration and sufferings from Japanese invasion, minor and major incidents that locals from Beolgyo experienced.  Given that the place is the location of a 10 volume novel that she was about to read, she was still in the 2nd volume but that already inspired her to see the place.


"Taebaek Mountain Range tells the story of Korea’s partition into North and South after its liberation from the Japanese occupation at the end of the Forties. This period of tremendous social and political upheaval has defined Korea’s destiny as a divided country. For Jo Jung Rae, understanding Korea’s past holds the key to the future – to resolving the ongoing confrontation between North and South Korea." [Reference]




Version of the book that was rented from the local libraries.




When it was translated to Japanese language.


Some of the items on the exhibit where personal items from the writer.




Schedule with TV stations such as KBS, MBC, SBS, EBS.


This novel from writer Jeong Rae Jo was also included in the book "1001 books you must read before you die".






While walking around the 2 level literature hall, it felt like the novel corresponds to the Philippines' Jose Rizal's Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo (which talks about the oppression during the Spanish regime).

How to get there?

Take bus #88 from KTX Suncheon station. It will be 1h 15m ride to reach Beolgyo.

Taebaek Mountain Range Literature Museum

Beolgyo-eup, Boseong-county, Jeollanam-do, South Korea
http://tbsm.boseong.go.kr/subpage/eng_sub_1.html?code=8000117&categori=8000




Mentioned in Drama 

While watching Temperature of Love Episode 04, Lee Hyun-soo (Seo Hyun-jin) mentioned that she wanted to visit Taebaek Mountain Range Literature Museum.  She asked On Jung-seon (Yang Se-jong) if he have read the book.


On Episode 07, during his flight, On Jung-seon was already reading the first book of Taebaek Mountain Range.



Other places around the hall:



I guess in one way or another, there are common trigger points for travelers - Never giving upon dreams or pursuing to places that were triggered by the habits.  For her, it was reading the 10 volume novel.  For my case, it is going to filming locations of varieties, series or movies. (I guess a lighter reason compared to her deeper idealism on politics and literature).


Date Visited: 2016 July

What's in your 1001 must read books list?  Or what's the famous local novel/book that is required to be read to learn about your country's history?

18 comments:

  1. South Korea sounds like such an incredible country. So much to see and visit! Not sure I have 1001 things to read though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I keep coming back and just even in Seoul the places to see never end! :-)

      Delete
  2. Korea is really on top of my travel bucket list for Asia. I have watched some Korean dramas and the country looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These dramas are for real the "invitation" to their country. It's awesome that places and film production can work hand in hand to boost their tourism industry and more... Here are more of the Filming Location

      Delete
  3. Great Museum, seems to be so informative . I recently visited 2 historical Museums in South east Asia and absolutely loved the way they narrate their story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to travel to Asia since I was a young girl. There is so much to learn about the culture, history, and of course, the food! South Korea looks so beautiful in pictures. I am sure it is even lovelier in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting place to visit to learn about history and see the artefacts on show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been fascinated with South Korea and their history. I think it would be nice to go here and learn more about their culture. Their literature says so much about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to South Korea but only up to the airport. It looks like a nice place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you have a chance, visiting the city center is also a good thing to do.

      Delete
  8. A very interesting building and company, so much to learn here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised you mentioned the Jose Rizal novels and that made me look into your profile. It's nice to know another Filipina blogger here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure if a 10 volume piece of literature about history and politics is on my 1001 to read before I die list, unless I get a brain transplant and suddenly become interested in those subjects. These days I enjoy Self Improvement books, novels and travel-themed stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cracking up, totally agree. You could give me the most exciting adventure novel with flying wizards, dam breaks, dollar store sales and free buffets until the end of time and I still probably won’t sit down to read it. Maybe someday I’ll grow up and develop and attention span and love of further educating myself ��

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although I’m not much of a reader, I do love a good museum. I’ll have to check this out next time I’m down south, maybe even take a side trip to the green tea fields. That green tea ice cream is worth every smelly bus ride I’ll ever have to take there. Thanks for the tip, I had no idea this museum existed :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with what you said at the end, never give up on pursuing places that we want to visit because of our hobbies. I think this is what makes the places we visit so unique from everyone else! I enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete