Monday, May 22, 2017

2017 May: Japan: Fukuoka: Yanagawa



Yanagawa is the next stop after tourists visit Dazaifu.  I've seen this from Instagram as an emerging place to see.  However, I did not know that visiting the place might be better during festivities or later in the afternoon.

It was Sunday, I headed from the city with the earliest schedule I can get to reach Yanagawa.  There were still streamers of Wisteria Festivity, however the event was already done.  At 8am, there is no English walking map in the train office and tourist information center is still closed.


And the worst, no tourists rushing to take a boat ride.



I continue to walked along the river banks, no restaurants or shops were open.






There were at least two other travelers carrying their SLRs coming from the station.  But only few boatmen are roaming on the river.  And only few locals were biking on the streets. 




The castle ruins is a bit disappointing, I would probably skip that part.  I was about to take an off-road heading to the castle walls, until creepy sound was coming from a bunch of grass near the riverbanks, I knew that it’s not from the turtles I saw earlier, so headed back to the main road and found myself going back to the station. 


Luckily, some tourists were already enjoying the boat ride during mid-day.


Personal Preference: Before visiting the place, I'm decided that I'm not taking a ride, I was thinking if it’s one of the tourists trap (just like the Macau Venetian boats or water taxis).  Plus, I tend to refrain water activities.  But I would definitely like to take photos from the sidelines.

Tip: Skip the Sunday visit.  Probably check-out the place during the spring and autumn festivities or visit later in a afternoon.

How to get there?
Take the Tenjin Ōmuta Line in Yanagawa, Fukuoka, Japan. Drop-off at Nishitetsu Yanagawa Station.


Day Visited: May 14, 2017 - Sunday

Summary of 5 days itinerary in 2017 Fukuoka Trip:

Day
Places to see
Food and Restaurants
Where to Sleep
Day 1
Karatsu Castle
Old Karatsu Bank
Shopping at Hakata Underground
Yayoi Teishoku Restaurant
Brunch @ Karatsu Station
Hakata Gofukumachi
Hostel Takataniya
Day 2
Wisteria Tunnel in Kawachi Fuji-en
Mojiko Retro
Hostel Takataniya
Day 3
Yanagawa (you can opt for Dazaifu)
Kurume Ishibashi Cultural Center
Our Lady of Victory (Daimyomachi Church)
FUK white mocha coffee
Hanamidori crunchy chicken
Hostel Takataniya
Day 4
Yufuin, Oita
Shopping at Hakata
Shopping at Canal Mall
Milch cheesecake
A La Mode Goemon - Cheese Tart
Blueberry Dango
Hostel Takataniya
Day 5
Temples and Shrines in Gion-Hakata
Nakasu-Kawabata Market
Tenjin Undeground Market
Yoshinoya - Beef rice toppings
Udon Soba with Fish Cakes
Hostel Takataniya