Sunday, April 14, 2024

Shikoku Mannaka Sennen Monogatari


Shikoku Mannaka Sennen Monogatari 
四國真中千年物語

It will be my first time to try a tourist train over lunch in Japan.  Previously, I tried Yufuin no Mori, but I did not know there is actually cafe section where you order food. 

Among those that are available in Shikoku island,  I chose this route based on the schedule of the train which is limited to be running mostly on weekends.  To know more about the other sighseeing railway options, read here

This has very limited seats and reservation is a must.  For March 16 trip, I booked on February 04.  I received the payment instructions on February 16.  They need my accommodation details to send my train tickets one day before the train departure date.  


In Kotohira station, there is a dedicated area for the passengers awaiting for the train.  They have welcome drinks and confirmed my tickets. 


The train's name is translated to 'tale of thousand years across the middle of Shikoku'.  From Kotohira station, it will stop on few stations until it reached Oboke station.  Mannaka means center, Sennen means few years ago and Monogatari means tale. 


Lucky me, I was assigned to car 01, seat 02.  I got the view in front of the train and also facing the window side.  In just a few minutes, we were already waving at the locals and our journey began.  



I normally don't take Shinkansen due to it's cost, but this is a luxury sightseeing train that runs in the middle of Shikoku.  It's a slow ride to appreciate the fields and the mountains. 


Clockwise, starting at the top-left: 
  • Asparagus and dry-cured ham, roasted Sanuki olive chicken, homemade style dressing
  • Omelette with onions and green peppers garnish with pollack roe (spicy fish egg); Setouchi red sea bream vapor grilled with Konpira miso; Fried Japanese mustard spinach and Sanuki olive port roll-ups; Grilled Konpira bamboo shoot.
  • Japanese style roast beef using Sanuki olive beef with Balsamic sauce.
  • Soft simmered Sanuki olive pork tossed with basil mayonnaise.


Next serving, which I missed to take a photo due to excitement is stewed Sanuki olive beef in red wine.  You are welcome to add more orders of drinks and dessert.  I choose the safe bottle of orange juice (just because I had shochu shot the night before).  While my seatmate had a bottle of beer. 





We stopped at Tsubojiri station, and saw this sakura tree.  We were allowed to take photos with the train signage.  I also got the station stamped on my booklet.  Funny that some of visitors just noticed the stamping area only after I was able to stamped mine.  Hello to my co-stamping rally. 


Whenever the train pauses and if you are not yet done with your food, they will always cover your plate with white paper. 


We pass by few towns. 


With declining population, they also use a lot of scarecrow to welcome the visitors when the train is passing by.  On white truck, is our chef who prepared the food we had over lunch. 


We crossed Yoshinogawa Bridge (JR Dosan Line), built on April 1920. Reference 


Passing the shinning blue Yoshino river at the bottom.  








Towards the end of the journey, we passed by several tunnels.  It maybe dark outside, but the lights inside give justice to the luxurious ambiance inside the train.  At the end of our meal, I chose tea over coffee.  This is also the time to pay for any additional orders you had onboard. 


Before we get off, we were memerized by the beauty of Oboke Gorge


Stunning tourquoise, green, blue waters of Yoshino river and lush mountains along the way. 



Because it was secluded area, it has limited bus schedule.  And I find it difficult going to the inner areas of Iya Valley - thus, I passed by this area.  

Upon arrival at Oboke station, I took the next JR limited express train heading straight to Kochi station for my base in the next 2 nights. 


No comments:

Post a Comment