Sunday, August 25, 2024

Kameyama, Mie, Japan: Seki Post Town in Tokaido road

 


In 2019, I have visited Magome and Tsumago towns in Nakasendō route. And Old Tōkaidō Road Ancient Cedar Avenue in Hakone, Kanagawa.  This 2024, I have visited Seki-juku in Tōkaidō road.

What is Tōkaidō road?
Roughly means "eastern sea route," connecting Kyoto (previous capital) Japan and Edo (modern-day Tokyo). [Reference]

In Seki station, I was able to collect the stamps below.


Continuing my journey to the Tokaido road, able to capture Ajisai (hydrangea) along the way. 



Had my brunch from:

En cafe エン
480 Sekicho Nakamachi, Kameyama, Mie 519-1112, Japan


Thank you chef for helping me order in English.  Loved the food.  Learned that I can have salad with pumpkin. 

It's an open-bar cooking.  Dining is limited to 90 minutes only, but that's already enough to rest my feet from walking while enjoying my meal. 


Next, visited the first museum for that day: 

Seki Machinami Museum
関まちなみ資料館
482 Sekicho Nakamachi, Kameyama, Mie 519-1112, Japan

Upon buying the museum tickets, they will give you an introduction in English notes.  There is 3in1 and 2in1 option.  I choose 2 museums for a discounted ticket. 


Written in the manhole card:
As the 47th post town from Edo on the Tokaido road, Seki was bustling with people on their way to Edo for alternate pilgrimages to Ise.  With the townscape as a backdrop, this design depicts "Asure", the mascot for the old Seki town, which was created with a Jizo statue and a traveller as its motif.  There is a pheasant perched on Asure's shoulder and a rhododendron flower on his hat.

While most of the post towns along the old Tokaido road have lost their original appearance, Seki-juku has over 200 old town houses built between the Edo and Meiji periods, and has been designated a nationally important preservation district for groups of traditional buildings.  [Reference]



Highlight of my visit, is taking this street shot from the rooftop:


Continuing my journey to the Tokaido road.




Off to the second museum for that day:

Sekijuku Hatago Tamaya Historical Museum
関宿旅籠玉屋歴史資料館
444-1 Sekicho Nakamachi, Kameyama, Mie 519-1112, Japan






Continuing my journey to the Tokaido road.






On my way back to the station, I dropped-by this cafe at the corner of the street.  To my surprise when I entered, it's more than a cafe, it's like an antique shop, full of items, cups, etc.

British tea shop Earl Grey
アールグレイ
Japan, 〒519-1112 Mie, Kameyama, 関町木崎512

The shop is located on the Tokaido Sekijuku road and is a coffee shop that uses an old merchant's house.


Hello to this friendly cat, who kissed my shoes under the table.  And thank you to auntie with the warm welcome at her store.  We had a short talk about the places I'll visit in Mie.  And she handed me this fan to help me during the scorching sunny afternoon. 

Back at the Seki station, let me share with you some tips and reminders below: 
  • Please be advised that there is a limited coin locker available for only 300 yen.  
  • Please also note to take a photo of the train schedule.  There is a very limited hourly trip to Kameyama station.
  • There's also a notice below, that they will implement a semi-automatic (manual) doors.  Reason: 'In order to create a comfortable environment inside the train, all the train doors will be operated semi-automatic (manually) to maintain the temperature inside the train and prevent insects.  Please press the 'Open' button to open the door.' 




No comments:

Post a Comment