Saturday, August 24, 2024

Mie, Japan: Nipponia Hotel Iga Ueno Castle Town

 


Planning:  I'm torn between choosing between their building in Kanmuri or Kourai.  Kanmuri is less than 10 minutes walk from Uenoshi or Hirokoji station. It's where their lobby and restaurant is. Room 103 is enclosed without a window or garden view at the ground floor. But has windows on the 2F.

Kourai is closer to Hirokoji station, and the room has its own garden.




Location: In the end, I book at Room 103 in Kanmuri2842 Uenoaioicho, Iga, Mie 518-0859, Japan

Nestled in the middle of Iga-Ueno.  Easy to go the main street of Mie Prefecture Route 56, short walk away from Teramachi Dori.  Few blocks away from convenience store and train stations. 


Check-in: I arrived earlier than 3pm, and they have kept my luggage.When I came back at 5pm, my luggage was already in my room.  I had a good briefing at the concierge.

Lobby: This is not your typical hotel. I heard about Nipponia during my visit to Ozu, Ehime. They restore old buildings and turn them into modern rooms keeping the touch of old buildings.

I had a good chat with their staff, they explained to me other places to visit and suggested I use the yukata, walk around the town, which I enjoyed the following day.


In the welcome note, explaining that the area is a transportation hub, with road connecting Kyoto, Nara and Ise.  There are long-established Japanese sweet shops, where travelers once came to rest their tired feet from walking, continues to be loved by many people today. 

They provided sweets from a famous confectionary.  Its from fresh mugwort kneaded into mochi dough made carefully from selected Iga rice.  A small sweet wrapped in homemade sweet bean paste. 


Room:  From the entrance, you will be greeted by the walls and heavy doors that are characteristic of a storehouse. The bathroom and living space on the first floor are compact yet comfortable and easy to spend time in. 

Don't be afraid of the glass walls in between rooms. There are actually blinds you can drop to block the view. 


Appreciated how they tried to keep the history of the room. They tried to keep the old curved beams and walls, but also restored using light wood.  Contrast between the old and new.


If you go up to the second floor, you will find a bedroom that feels like a secret base. [Reference: https://go-vmg.reservation.jp/]


There is a bar area, where they have provided teas, drip coffee, water heater, glasses. I have requested plates and a set of spoon and fork for my take-out meal.



Behind the lush green trees, is the hotel's restaurant.  However, I have just experienced kaiseki (consisting of a sequence of dishes, each often small and artistically arranged) in Onyado Shikishimakan Kotohira last March, thus I want to skip it this trip in June.


Pros: It may not be an onsen, but I totally love and appreciate having a cypress bathtub in my room.  

They also have bath bombs provided. Allow 1-2 hours waiting time, before you can fill up your tub. Drop the blinds, lessen the lights, add some soft music in the background. You'll enjoy the zen and onsen vibes in Nipponia.


Please understand: 
Reviving the charm of the building while preserving the accumulated history of time

Sooty walls and ceilings. Discolored clay walls and ceiling boards. Damaged pillars. For example, even these things that are often seen as signs of aging or dirt are not replaced with new, clean pieces, but rather we try to preserve as much of the building's history as possible. 

In order to allow the guests to enjoy a stay in a historical building that has previously only been looked at, and an extraordinary space, we do not provide televisions, clocks, or bright lights in the rooms.


Recommendation:  The following morning, I wake-up early, worn yukata during my stroll around Teramachi Dori.


I enjoyed my stay in my room.  Not drunk by Jenard Merlot / Jeanjan Red, but probably if I opened the 'Waka-Ebis 'Gizaemon' Junmai Ginjo Sake (15.5%)'.  I loved the low lights while soaking in the hot water cedar bathtub.  In my sleep, enjoyed the soft bed and cold atmosphere.  Right before closing my eyes is the curved beam that is a witness of the historical journey of the storehouse built in the Edo period now an accommodation for travelers like me. 

Know more about NIPPONIA HOTEL Iga Ueno Castle Town

https://www.vmg-igaueno.com/citystroll



No comments:

Post a Comment