Thursday, April 11, 2024

Kagawa, Japan: 7 things to do in Kotohira

 


Travel Date: 15 March 2024 (Friday)

Kotohira-gu also known as Kompira-san, is a Shinto shrine dedicated to the guardian gods of the sea. Ref: https://www.konpira.or.jp/ This is known as the patron of sea transports and seafarers. 

Let me share with you what is it like to hike the stairs heading to Kotohira-gu. 

1. Breakfast at Cafe Mori to Yama / Cafe 森と山

I took the early morning train from Takamatsu, and reached Kotoden-Kotohira station after one hour.  Before starting the hike, I had a breakfast from Cafe Mori to Yama. 

Location: 959-4, Kotohira, Nakatado District, Kagawa 766-0001, Japan
Food: morning set (toasted bread, boiled egg, salad, soup)
Personal preference: 9 out of 10


To get the morning set at the price of 200 yen, coffee must be an americano.  Otherwise, it will then be costly.




The cafe also offers local delicacies, beer, and wooden items. 






2.  Enjoy the unending hike on the stairs


You can borrow hiking sticks for a minimal fee or you can borrow from some of the stores along the way.  There are also walking sticks available from our accommodation in Shikishimakan.


Along the way are shops, snack bars, restaurants and some rest stops.  Most of the stores are closed when I hiked early in the morning.  So I decided to focus more on the hike and just delay the window-shopping on my way back down to the town center. 


If your hands will be busy handling your phone, camera, selfie sticks, etc. - you can skip getting a walking stick for this hiking trip.  


Also, if you want to hike further to Izutama shrine, ensure to bring your your water as there is less available store or vending-machine at the top. 




It can be a leisurely walk with a lot a stairs, thus I did a lot of stops to drink water and enjoy the trees.  The full hike itself is not that crowded unlike the densely populated streets in Tokyo or Kyoto. 



I visited the place mid-March, at the day of my visit, temperature range from 6 to 15 degrees celsius.  Due to continuous cold snaps, most the cherry buds are not in full bloom yet. 




You'll pass the largest building on the site, Asahi-Sha, which sits on the last flat place before the steep climb up to the Gohon-Gu(main shrine). [Ref: https://www.konpira.or.jp/]


By the time you reached Gohon-gu (main shrine), you already made upto 785 stone steps.  


There is already a viewing area at this point.


There are already a lot to see in the main shrine grounds. 



I've seen a pilgrim passing by. 







If you continue hiking, you can see few more shrines that include Shiromine and Izutama Shrine


The path will suddenly be shifted to deeper forest scenes.  Mostly on the mountain edge with less railings and are in stone steps and lesser flats. 





Once you reached Shiromine Shrine, you already made 923 stone steps. 


Shiramine Shrine 白峰神社


A lot of birds singing up above and wind shaking the branches of the trees.  I continue my journey as there are still a lot that I come across path who have come earlier than me who reached the next shrine, Izutama shrine and now on their way back. 


Sugawara Shrine 菅原神社





It took another 20 more minutes to reach the Izutama shrine, passing unending stone steps. 






Izutama Shrine 嚴魂神社(金刀比羅宮奥社)


You'll get to see this view of Sanuki plain, once you reached Izutama shrine. 


My way down is much easier, a lot of stroll and stops, appreciating the trees and the skies. 



3. Sweets at Kamitsubakiカフェ&レストラン 神椿

Location: 892-1, Kotohira, Nakatado District, Kagawa 766-0001, Japan
Food: Pudding a la mode, 950 yen - A nostalgic pudding a la mode with homemade pudding and Shiseido Parlor's traditional vanilla ice cream with fruit; Mixed herbal tea (orange peel, chamomile, rosehip) 500 yen
Personal preference: 8 out of 10

I gave myself a reward for completing more than a thousand steps to the top with these yummy sweets and fruits. 


Also, the reason I wanted to try this restaurant is because of the view or the experience of resting under the trees or being with nature. 


Although it is too crowded inside, I found my place while checking further sitting areas around the terrace and the farther isolated area of the restaurant.  Don't worry if you are solo traveling, as they have prepared reserve standees to save a table for yourself. 




4.  Buy local crafts


Most of the shops open after 11am.  Here I bought a local designed postcard that I sent back home. 




From toys, wallets, plants and to clothes that you can enjoy shopping. 



Below is my favorite figurine in Kotohira. 


Also famous in Shikoku are indigo crafts or blue dyeing method. 



There are a lot of chopsticks and chopstick-rest to choose from. 



A lot of wooden and artsy drafts as well. 




Tianjin sweet chestnuts


Further down back to town proper or Konpira Omotesando traditional shopping street, there are other restaurants, noodle school, and snack bars. 






5 Quick bite at Crispy JIJI Chicken こんぴら おいり横丁

Location: 795番地1, Kotohira, Nakatado District, Kagawa 766-0001, Japan
Food: lemon pepper chicken
Personal preference: 8 out of 10


Few steps away from my accommodation, I still decided to stop and had a quick bite at these crunchy and flavorful lemon pepper chicken for snacks, prior to the kaiseki meal (traditional multi-course Japanese dinner) I'll have in Shikishimakan



6.  Visit Kotohira Maritime Museum 琴平海洋博物館(海の科学館)

Even though I pushed this last to my itinerary for the day, I'm glad I made sometime to visit this museum. 



7. Overnight stay at Onyado Shikishimakan Kotohira Hotspring

Reward yourself to experience wearing a yukata, dipping in private onsen and eating kaiseki meal at Shikishimakan




No comments:

Post a Comment