Sunday, November 27, 2011

South Korea: Jeju: Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak

Destination: Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak (Sunrise Peak)
Location: Seogwipo-si Seongsan-eup Seongsan-ri 114
Date Visited: November 2011

Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak rose from under the sea in a volcanic eruption over 100,000 years ago. Located on the eastern end of Jejudo Island, there is a huge crater at the top of Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak. The crater is about 600m in diameter and 90m high. With the 99 sharp rocks surrounding the crater, it looks like a gigantic crown. While the southeast and north sides are cliffs, the northwest side is a verdant grassy hill that is connected to the Seongsan Village. The ridge provides an ideal spot for walks and for horse riding as well. [Reference]

After almost an hour road trip from the city, we were able to reach the Sunrise Peak. I'm geared for this trip but not on this day... when I step out from the bus, there's the chilling effect of the very cold and strong wind. In less than 5 mins, I'm literally having runny nose, I can't take my photo as every second, that thing is flowing from my nose. It’s a very long walk of climbing the active volcano with both seaside and grassland on the background.

When I say a lot, yes really a lot of people are coming to his place. When we were there, about 9-10 buses full of tourists came in too.

Can you imagine me walking with a mass of people. So decided to stop at a point and some of them also stop on the same place where I was. Too bad because I have runny nose that I can’t immediately take a photo of myself.

I’m in Jeju, but it felt like walking to a demilitarized area. Some military men are also visiting the place.
The place is really picturesque.








Summary of 5 days itinerary in 2011 Jeju-Seoul Trip:


Day
Places to see
Food and Restaurants
Where to Sleep
Day 1
Take out from McDo
Lunch on Tour
Day 2
Paris Baguette
Lunch at Seongeup
Yeha Guesthouse, Jeju
Day 3
Joongang Cathedral
Flight to Gimpo Airport
Four Seasons House
Coffee Prince Restaurant
Green Residence, Myeongdong, Seoul
Day 4
Coffine Gurunaru
Green Residence, Myeongdong, Seoul
Day 5
Angel in Us Coffee
Green Residence, Myeongdong, Seoul