Sunday, November 14, 2010

2009 Oct: Taiwan: Day 2: Bird's View from 101

Travel Date: October 20, 2009

I started my morning by going out at around 9am for National Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall (9am - 6:30pm), take Exit 5 from the MRT Station.

C.K.S. Memorial Hall Station

Find your way to the main entrance, to take a snapshot of the huge gate. I spent around 2-3 hours to take shots of the National Theater, Memorial Hall, Democracy Boulevard and Concert Hall. If you are lucky, you can also watch the exchange of guards at the Memorial Hall.

National Chiang Kai Shek Memorial (http://www.cksmh.gov.tw/eng/index.php)
Open: 9:00 AM TO 6:30 PM
Address: 21, Zhongshan South Road, Taipei (100)

National Theater

Memorial Hall

I planned to go to NTUniversity in Gongguan Station, but decided not to proceed with that plan. I’d rather spent more time in Taipei 101.

From CKSM Station, I moved to Sun Yat Sen Memorial Station, Exit 2 to look for Mr. J. Restaurant. This is owned by Jay Chou where the theme is inspired by his movie The Secret. There is nothing special in the location, it seems like it is in a street together with residential area. I was not able to see the grand piano, but the walls are full of Jay’s memorabilia. I ordered for vegetable salad and pasta, and it was good.
Mr. J. Restaurant (http://www.mrj-tw.com/)
Address: No.43 Lane 308, Guangfu St., Da-an District, Taipei City 106
Lunch Set (12:00 - 14:00): starts from 150NT


After lunch, it started raining, I forgot to bring my cap so I had to buy one from NET. I walked towards SYS Memorial, and I did not bother going inside the Hall. I’m after taking photos of the actual Hall itself.

Dr. Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall
Address: 505, Jen-ai Rd, Sec. 4, TaipeiE-mail: sun@yatsen.yatsen.gov.tw
Hall Attraction: 9am-9pm (Part of exhibition rooms only open from 9:00~17:00)

Then, I find my way to Shifu Rd., I did not expect to see the tent that was often used on “Girls Marching On”, a series broadcasted by ABS in 2000.

From the Taipei City Hall, it is almost 20-30 minutes walk before I reached Taipei 101. If you are looking for the branded stuff, this is the Mall for you.
After roaming at the mall, I looked for the Observatory Ticket Booth located at the 5th floor of the Mall. Thanks to Youth Travel Card, I paid my ticket for 350NT only and got 50NT discount. The elevator will take you then to 89F (indoor observatory). Be sure to use their audio guides, it is very easy to use and it will explain to you every section seen from the observatory.

During my visit, there is an Art Exhibit and I found few entries from the Philippines.

I also sent out postcards from Taipei 101.

A small museum is also found inside, it contains a replica of the famous cabbage found in National Museum. Expensive jars are also for sale on the same floor.

Try to finish the indoor observatory before night fall, they do limit the area to be visited in outdoor obersvatory when it comes to be very windy.
Operating Hours: 10am - 10pm (Last ticketing: 9:15pm)
Address 89F No.7, Hsin Yi Rd Sec 5, Taipei 101
Visiting Route: Entry 5F (take elevator -> 89F [indoor observatory] ) -> 91F [outdoor observatory]Exit 88F (take elevator -> 5F)

As I leave the building, I’m nearing the most awaited spot I’ve been wanting to see, the LOVE sculpture. Too bad that it was so windy that I can’t leave my tripod to take a personal shot.

Before crossing the street to see New York New York mall, I was surprised when a loud music started and when I turn around, the water fountain started dancing. I’m so happy that I was able to experience again to watch that kind of water show. (Last was on Wynn, Macau on Feb 2009)

When I reached NYNY, I had sudden flashbacks of DMS and SC’s date, this is the Mc Donald’s used on the last episode of Meteor Garden.

Upon the main entrance, I was welcomed by VZ Yu Min, he is the endorser for Sony Alpha.

You will pass by Viewshow and multiple Shin Kong Mitsukoshi malls before you can reach Taipei City Hall MRT Station.

I dropped off at Taipei Main Station, and called it a day!


Summary of 7 days 6 nights Itinerary on 2009 Taiwan Trip


Day
Places to see
Food and Restaurants
Where to Sleep
Day 1
St. John Bosco Church
Miramar (Ferris Wheel)

Day 2
National Chiang Kai Shek Memorial
NTUniversity
Dr. Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall
Taipei 101
 Lunch @ Mr. J Restaurant
City Inn Hotel
Day 3
Dinner @ Modern Toilet
City Inn Hotel
Day 4

City Inn Hotel
Day 5
Walking on Tianmu Area
Fisherman’s Walking Area
City Inn Hotel
Day 6
National Palace Museum
Taipei Story Land
City Inn Hotel
Day 7
Taipei Fine Arts Museum
Taiwan Storyland

City Inn Hotel